Friday, March 14, 2008

Hold me together, be forever near me.

People, how could you let me get away without blogging for three weeks? So much has happened in the past three weeks:
  1. Espresso Excellence went well, and there's been positive change in my store and Starbucks as a whole.
  2. Met Jenn, the girl from the church thingie, for a wonderful dinner.
  3. Went to my first hip hop dance class tonight. I'm awful, but it was super fun.
  4. Church social and Robin's graduation gathering were great for free food and catching up with people I don't see nearly enough.
  5. My brother took a big work exam today, and from what I hear, it went great.
  6. My grandma is out of the hospital and feeling much better.
  7. My grandfather had cataracts surgery that has already proven successful.
  8. My sister got to enjoy sunny San Diego for spring break.
  9. It snowed 20 inches in Cleveland, and I wasn't there! (Sorry, Clevelanders.)
To remember the rest, I'd probably have to dig out my planner, but suffice it to say, things are good. Have been writing in a personal journal a lot, and it's brought a lot of insight. I've realized that I need to have something planned on my days off for those days to be productive; otherwise, I'll let myself sit around the apartment reading, dozing, and catching up on Netflix. All fine to an extent, but not all day.

More spiritually, I went through a couple of days of feeling deeply sad that I lost my best friend, that he betrayed me, my trust, and my love. That's not a new emotion, but the realization that Jesus has been there -- that opened my eyes. Jesus chose twelve men to be his family, his intimates, his bosom friends, his legacy, and one of those men betrayed him so completely that it led to his death. But, even knowing what was to come, He chose Judas. And, even more amazing to me, He treated Judas no differently than the others. How many times in life do we do something we know is the right thing but because it's difficult or we feel morally superior or possibly know of some sour consequence, we act without a cheerful, loving heart? Jesus welcomed Judas into His inner circle, treated him as a brother privy to as much of His love and teaching as the other eleven, all the while knowing that Judas would eventually deceive and betray him for a bag of coins. It has been an amazing comfort to know that Jesus has been through what I have been through. That someone He loved so deeply hurt Him to the core through an act of betrayal. This is the first time I've ever felt that Jesus went through something just so that He could help me through today. Isn't that an incredible feeling? Knowing that Christ humbled Himself to offer eternal salvation to every soul on Earth, but also that He willingly submitted to humanness in order to save my heart in this moment.

As for the future, I'm looking forward to:
  1. Serena's baby shower this weekend.
  2. The steak dinner Julio owes me in April!
  3. VACATION. Next week, Mom and I are going up to Pacifica for a few leisurely days at my aunt's home. I can't wait for a long drive through beautiful country (sweet alfalfa fields, here I come), shopping in Gilroy, walks/runs along the beach, time to read and write and nap without guilt, hanging out with Ryan, cozy dinners at home or out, Mom's egg custard, cool sea air.
  4. Easter.
  5. Dance classes to come.
I've actually written more than I'd planned because I have lots of pictures to share (be warned). Next week, I'll be gone so don't expect an entry for a while, but after that, blogs will be more regular (more fiber!), I promise. Adios.

Straws make excellent playthings when Mom just wants a cup of water.


Before a date.


Giada playing fetch!


Rubber isn't so tasty; making use of laundry day; riveted to a cheetah on TV.


Well, that's our little family of late. Everyone have a wonderful couple of weeks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Giada is getting so big! She is a grown-up kitty now.

"20 inches" is one way of putting it. "20 inches in the lowest parts, with drifts of about 3 feet and humongous piles that the plows left behind of 6 feet making it so that you can't see oncoming traffic when you try to make a turn" might be more accurate :)

Erica said...

Oy. But congrats on the new car!

merrilykaroly said...

Yes, I have been waiting for this post for a while now. Such a great way to keep in touch and hear what you're doing. Have a fun trip!!

Anonymous said...

I really don't like Giada.

But I must admit that it's pretty cute that she watched tv.

And I love what you're discovering about Jesus. I'm reading Matthew right now, and I'm learning/being reminded of quite a bit as well.

I love you!

Erica said...

I took the cuuutest picture of her on my phone last night -- she was flopped over on my lap as I read in bed, not curled up, just flopped over staring at me. I hope you guys make friends someday.