Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Saturday night in Harlem, ahhh everything's all right.

Oh, how time flies -- anyone miss me?  I've been a slacker in the past, but seriously, five months sans any updates?  No bueno!  And there's so much to share!  We'll take it one day at a time.  That's right -- there will be a new blog post every day for the next week.  Are you ready?  We're going to explore NYC together.  Here's the place I call home ....

New York City is divided into five boroughs -- Manhattan, The Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island.  Manhattan is the New York that most people associate with the city (and the glitz and the glamour ....) -- so much so that often, when someone refers to "the city," he means Manhattan, even though all five boroughs are technically the city.  When I first arrived, I tried to avoid that trap ("we're all living in the best city on Earth, c'mon!") but alas, I too have fallen.

Then there are the neighborhoods.  Each borough is known by its neighborhoods because they're all so big that just the borough name can only be so telling (Brooklyn alone is home to 2.5 million people!).  My little slice of heaven?  Central Harlem in Manhattan.  Are your feet quivering in your boots?  They shouldn't be; with an alert eye and a don't-take-nothing-from-nobody attitude, my area is pretty safe.  Ready to see some pics?


My building entrance -- apparently I live in the Smithsonian.
The cute cafe next door.
Literally next door!

Laundry on the first floor.  The building faces west; my apartment entrance faces north on the street with the vehicle.
Across the street -- groceries.

My subway stop.
Looking north by the subway.  Just a few blocks in this direction, and I'm home.
It's a pretty small slice, but that is home in thumbnails.  Harlem isn't a ritzy area or a hotbed of couture living, but it is a vibrant neighborhood with character and history.  But that's another blog!

No comments: