Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I don't need the cheese or the car keys.

According to Alex, a friend I work with, I am a nerd. All because I was wildly entertained by Brainiac: Adventures in the Curious, Competitive, Compulsive World of Trivia Buffs, Ken Jennings book about his lifelong journey to winning seventy-four episodes of Jeopardy! Fine, I embrace the label willingly, because it is a wonderful book. And full of trivia -- I learned a lot!

Work is well, as usual. We're getting busier and busier, thanks to the holidays. All I have to do is great through this weekend; then things will start to mellow out, and we can get down to the business of becoming the best store in Fresno.

It rained all day yesterday, and we even got a bit of almost-Cleveland rain. That bit where the rain was practically bullets? Welcome to Ohio! But like Ohio, it didn't last too long, and unlike Ohio, there was no stomach-rumbling thunder. Today was sunny and clear when I woke up, but it's overcast again. Hopefully, the skies will brighten, and I'll have an amazing view of my mountains on the drive home this afternoon (dinner with the family, hair appointment tomorrow, the last of the Christmas shopping).

Now, a photo-retelling of the weekend's most memorable happenings.

I was supposed to head to Exeter Friday evening to hang out with Jess. Around 330p, I unlocked the car, put my things in, got in the driver's seat, and put my key in the ignition. But it wouldn't turn. Thinking that it might be stuck, I tried to jimmy it then turn it again, but no dice. So I pulled the key out, and my jaw dropped:



My key was broken?! Sinking back in my seat, I had no idea who to call to fix it. It had already been a long, frustrating week, and I couldn't believe this was happening. I called Dad, who suggested calling a tow company. The three tow companies I called suggested I called a locksmith. The locksmith I called couldn't come until Saturday morning unless I wanted to pay half my body weight in gold. There went plans for the night, and I'd been looking forward to them so much. I was none too happy with this little piece of metal holding my car hostage.



Saturday morning, promptly at 10a, a young guy from AA-Armor Locksmith (highly recommended) called for directions around the complex, then spent a half hour trying to extract the inch and a half of broken key. He couldn't get it. So I waited until 1130a, when an older, better equipped locksmith arrived, said a prayer, and pulled it out!



But not before a tiny piece of metal harpooned my weekend.



Can you believe that December, and 2007, are almost over? In the next week and a half, I'll work a crazy weekend, spend Christmas with my family,
write some goals (better than resolutions), go snowboarding with Julio (!), find something to do for New Year's (suggestions?), and greet 2008 bright and early 530a at work, lucky me. (I figured I'd be the "cool" manager who lets all of her partners party it up on New Year's.) And that will be that.

What a year.

No comments: