Wednesday, November 9, 2011

What's going on, Pt 2: Food, glorious food.

Food: NYC has some of the best food in the world, right?  I even made some of it myself. 

Katz's Delicatessen!  Remember in When Harry Met Sally, when Sally schools Harry in the art of *ahem* pretending?  This is that restaurant. :)
                                             
  
 The first sign reminds diners to "Send a Salami to your Boy in the Army."  The second sign hangs above the table where the WHMS scene was filmed.
I forgot to take a picture of the food though, because it wasn't spectacular or anything.  Plain ol' piled-high turkey sandwich.


Cristiane, one of my roommates, and I went to a French restaurant for brunch on Sunday and had these delicious omelettes.  I believe it was feta, spinach, and peppers.

Lots of coffee shops and delis don't have seating inside the store.  Instead, there is counter space along a window or wall.  Yes, this is at Starbucks, but I always feel a little more New York when I stand at the counter to enjoy coffee. 
You can never go wrong with Halloween cookies.  Sugar cookies with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and candy corn.

At Babouche, a Mediterranean restaurant in Brooklyn, I had really tasty skirt steak with roasted vegetables.

Carlos had chicken .... I don't remember what it's called, but it steamed like crazy, smelled delicious, and he liked it.

Down the block from the store I took over last week, there is a fabulous pizzeria called Monty's.  The lunch special -- personal pizza and a drink for only $7 -- is dangerous and fantastic.

What's better than soup on a snowy night?  Chockful O' Everything Chowder you make yourself!  Corn, potato, broccoli, and cheddar cheese.  Mmmmm.

More pizza!  Grimaldi's is a wildly famous pizzeria in Brooklyn that only sells pizza pies and has lines for days outside all the time.  My friend, Chris, and I went to the Manhattan location instead (yay, Groupon) and -- while I've heard that it's not as good as the original -- the pizza was freaking awesome.  Bonuses: We didn't have to wait, and the restaurant is located inside a cool converted stone church building that now houses boutiques and eateries.

Chorizo breakfast burrito from El Paso.  Spanish Harlem (El Barrio) is one of my favorite parts of the city because all of the Mexican restaurants and Spanish language feels like home.  There's even a taco truck I mean to try one of these days.

Unfortunately I haven't taken as many pics of my food as I thought I had.  You'll just have to imagine the goodness of homemade spaghetti and meatballs (really!) and cinnamon spice cupcakes.  Delish.

No comments: