Sunday, November 11, 2007

It's been one week.

Hello, people, hope all is well with everyone. It's been a full week since the last blog. After our long drive across many states, Dad and I spent Saturday watching football. That's literally all we did. It was wonderful, even though Notre Dame lost to Navy. Next year, boys, there's always next year. And I will always love Charlie Weis.

The day before, I came up to see my apartment and sign the final paperwork. I'd been feeling blue and bittersweet until I actually saw the place. It's adorable, and I love it.

Sunday brought church in Exeter, a visit with my aunt and grandmother, writing at Starbucks, coffee with Jess, and a soup dinner fundraiser at church. The night was a lot of fun. There was also a silent dessert auction, and my dad won a dessert called Scrumptious: Better Than Sex. It was very tasty; I have no opinion on the subtitle!

Monday morning, I had a dental cleaning that went better than expected (short and sweet is how I like it) then met Dad at the shop to drop off some stuff still in my car. Tuesday, Giada and I headed up to Fresno for good. She did not enjoy the car ride; apparently, the drive from Kingsburg to Fowler is the most traumatic strip of highway ever.

As soon as I got here and unloaded the car, it was time to set to work. I filled kitchen cabinets, set out spices, put together furniture, organized the pantry that doesn't have room for food. I tried to put together the Target bookshelves but can't do it alone so Dad will have to come help sometime. For now, the books remained packed, and I don't like it. Having my books set up around me makes me feel better. Is that silly?

Also went Target shopping. Spent more money than I probably should have, but I got lots of cute, useful things for the apartment. It's starting to come together, and I think I'm going to like living here.

Wednesday morning was my first regular doctor's appointment in years, and it went very well. I got a prescription for Qvar for preventative asthma maintenance and learned that I am in apparently good health -- woo. It's been a while since I've been in apparent good health, and it can go to your head a little. But I've also lost 30 lbs in the past two and a half months, which does good things for your body.

After the appointment, I went grocery shopping then went home to put away the food and organized my closet. For those who know my lack of affinity for hanging up clothes, it was no small feat. But it's lovely now, a walk-in closet that's useful and put-together and color-coordinated.

That afternoon, Mom was in Fresno for an appointment so we met to shop at Nordstrom Rack. At 7p, I headed to Macaroni Grill for an absolutely wonderful dinner with Jered. We hung out for a while, walking to Borders then Starbucks. It's really good to be back among people who know and care about me. There were so few of those people in Cleveland. It bites that he's moving soon, but at least LA isn't too far away.

Thursday morning was the first time I went running since before the move. My lungs were ready to burst at the end of ten minutes, but it felt great to move again. In the afternoon, I met with a graduate studies adviser at Fresno State to get information about graduate school. I don't know what I want to study or where I want to go or what future career it will help me with; that's why I needed the information.

What I do know is that, for the first time in my life, I actually believe I can do anything I want to do. I want to go to grad school. I want to prove to myself that I can do it. I want to enroll in a university, give it my all, and have it be good enough for me. Because I wanted it before, but most of me figured I would barely make it through like the first time, and I think the person whose opinion mattered most to me didn't believe I would do it. But I will. And if I don't, it won't be because I can't.

Friday, the cable guys came for TV and internet, then I went to lunch with Serena, Bill, and Autumn (Starbucks people) in Tower. Lovely to see them all. Serena and I had coffee at Friant and Fort Washington later, and we talked, and it was good to have a friend. Aren't friends the best?

Yesterday, a friend from the dorms a long time ago, Chris, was in town so we drove up to Yosemite and hiked to Glacier Point. It was a bit chilly, but the view and the peace were worth it. Took pictures, of course; here are some of my favorites:





Once back down in the Valley, we had dinner at In 'n Out and watched True Lies here at the apartment. I'd never seen it, and it's a really funny movie. Go, Governator!

Which brings us to today. I attended the 930a and 11a services at Northwest Church this morning (think I will start going to the 11a one if I don't work Sundays) then got coffee and the paper at Starbucks Blackstone and Barstow, where I saw a couple of girls I worked with at Shields and 41. Back home, I ate lunch, cleaned up, and watched Grey's Anatomy on DVD until Jered came for boxes. Now, I'm going to post this, read the paper, and wait for another friend from the dorms to come into town for dinner tonight. It will be great to see him.

I start work tomorrow, wish me luck. Looking forward to a drive-thru again. I enjoy it. Wednesday updates will commence next week.

In the down time, it was a touch of a lonely week. But there wasn't much down time, and I am not alone. Isn't it nice to know that you are not alone.

No comments: