Saturday, November 3, 2007

Road to California, part one.

We've made it back to California! And now for highlights with pictures.

Day Zero: It's a big ol' truck.

Dad and I loaded the truck on Monday. It only took seven hours ....


Still, nothing was getting in there. For dinner, we walked to Shaker Square and had pizza at Captain Tony's, which was really good. I wish I'd eaten there more often instead of Papa John's (though Captain Tony's would have been too expensive before). Later, Erin came over and took lots of my unwanteds home so that I didn't have as much to feel bad about throwing away -- thanks, Erin!

Day One: Land-locked and alone, she hangs up the phone.

Tuesday morning, I got up, disconnected all of the cable, and returned the box, etc. to Severance. Note to Clevelanders: The Severance Time Warner Cable building is across the road from the IHOP, not somewhere in the actual shopping center. Good to know .... Learned that I get a $52 credit, yay.

Back at the apartment, Dad and I crammed the rest of my earthly possessions into my car -- no small feat. While Dad hooked the car dolly to the truck, I met Jeff upstairs for a three-minute "walk-through." There will be a $50 charge for not cleaning the oven (never even crossed my mind; I hadn't used the oven for at least six weeks) but I should get the rest of my deposit back -- woo. Now if they'll only rent the apartment quickly; paying for rent in California and half of rent in Ohio is not my idea of a good time.

Apartment before and after:


As soon as the walk-through was done, we hit the road (1230p). There might have been a set of teary eyes in the passenger seat as we drove past downtown; it was a bittersweet moment of everything that the past ten months have held. Will I see Cleveland again? Only time will tell.

Downtown Cleveland:


Giada wasn't thrilled about the first leg of the journey, but she settled in quickly once she had the chance to sniff around the truck. Dad and I were both amazed at how well she traveled, not that I ever want to do it again!

Giada at the beginning, middle, and end stages of relaxation:


Highlights of Day One on the Road to California:
  • Ohio to Iowa looks exactly the same: corn fields and orange trees. It's pretty for a couple of hours, but even four states of rolling countryside gets boring.
  • There is a town in Illinois or Indiana called Chesterton. I guess "-fieldville" wouldn't fit on the sign!
  • A billboard in Iowa advertises "Bob's Your Uncle" Pizza Cafe! If you've ever seen the best infomercial ever, you know why this was so cool.
Dad drove until 1a, with a couple hours break when I took the wheel, then we pulled over and spent a few hours at Motel du Truck. Not exactly recommended -- the truck got cold, my seat wouldn't recline because the backseat was so full, and Giada wouldn't stay in her carrier. Still, much cheaper than a hotel room.

Next entry = Day two!

No comments: