Saturday, November 3, 2007

Road to California, part two.

Did you start with Day One? If not, start here!

Day Two: Rocky mountain high.

Wednesday morning, we awoke in the truck around 430, drove for an hour, slept again, and started up for good at 7a. Doesn't make for an attractive Erica:


Breakfast was Burger King at a rest stop that made me sleepy so most of my morning was spent in dreamland. We passed through the remainder of Iowa into Nebraska (which looks like Ohindillinowa, but with less trees :) and into Colorado. Colorado is beautiful. The first part is high desert (eh) but the west of Denver took my breath away. Mountains inspire awe in me; I feel more centered near mountains. I knew that about my mountains (the Sierra Nevadas of home) but, no, it's true of all mountains. So someday, I think I should like to live near a beach and mountains.

Also, if one has to live in snow, one should live where the view makes living in snow worth it. Like this:


Dad and I stopped for dinner and fuel at a Qdoba in Glenwood Springs then continued through Glenwood Canyon -- beautiful even in the shadows of dusk. I've driven the road from Denver before, but this time I remembered more of the scenery. We did see Vail in the daylight -- I can see why it's so sought-after. (And I hear the skiing is good, too.)

Wednesday night was spent in a real building (showers and beds and electricity, oh my!) -- the cheapest Motel 6 in Grand Junction (the room was already cheap and Dad got a senior discount because the early-twenties-something receptionist considers 50 old). Oh, it felt amazing to be fresh and dressed in clean clothes. When we left Thursday morning, I felt like a new woman, even if I looked more like a drugged one:


Random highlight of Day Two: Grundy County! For any lover of John Michael Montgomery, there is an actual Grundy County of "The Grundy County Auction" fame. :)

Reading on ... Day Three!

No comments: