Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christ the Savior is born.

As Christmas approaches and we prepare to spend time with friends and family, I thought I'd share what's been impressed upon my heart in the past few weeks. Forgive my lack of cohesion or flow, but it's been a while since I've written here about the state of my heart.

Last night on KLUV, listeners called in to share stories of blessings received and bestowed this season in their lives and communities. One caller, a recovering addict, spoke of a moment he shared with another recovering addict at a Wendy's restaurant. He noticed the man's recovery tokens, prayed with him, and encouraged him in his journey. But what spoke to me was what he took away from the encounter: "I learned something that night about being humble. Humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less."


His words made me store of think about how I think of myself. I generally consider myself someone with very little to give other than an abundance of time and obsessive personality. That is a degradation of me -- I do not see what I have of worth that others might be of services to others. But humility does not have room for pride or shame, only service. To be humble, to have a spirit of humility -- is it an action? Is it a trait gained through action, through godly focus on others' needs and wants before one's own?


Jesus is the ultimate example of humility. He left being God in heaven for the existence of a completely helpless human infant born in a barn to parents of shady background (to the world -- unmarried pregnant woman and the man who received her). He is the reason for the season, but as a song sings, so are we. We, us sin-full humans, are the reason Jesus became flesh, God Incarnate. Not only flesh, but a complete dependent. Then he went on to grow up, to have to learn to walk, to learn to speak, to learn fear and heartache and loneliness and companionship and joy and abundance. To accept His call to ministry. To be the Sacrifice for all of mankind. He, who is God, entered the world as its most defenseless citizen and left is as the ultimate Defense to human need.

Wow. Humility. Why? Love.

Humility is the elevation of other people in love, not the degradation of self in shame. I can give because I love in Christ, not because I have nothing to offer. Jesus will provide for the need if I am willing to be the vessel.

Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

merrilykaroly said...

Thank you for this post. I LOVE that definition of humility. Sometimes it's a little hard for me to grasp the concept of humility-- that makes sense that it is "thinking of yourself less." Sometimes talking about yourself in a self-deprecating way seems like humility, but I guess with the definition you gave, true humility would be not talking about yourself at all!

I really, really loved your description of Jesus Christ's life and willingness to be so humble. It really put it into perspective.

I love Christ and I love Christmas! :)