Saturday, December 5, 2009

Would you believe your eyes.

A few weeks ago at church, we spent a couple of weeks talking about intention and Christmas, forgoing a commercially-driven holiday for a season of purpose. The congregation was asked to share, through cards, what God laid on their hearts for the season. My answer: Gratitude. I want to be grateful, and more grateful, for the presence of God, family, and friends in my life. I want to spend more time with others and have more fun. I want to be purposeful with my time and resources. I didn't know, when asking for gratitude, that I would need it so much in the days to come. The death of a Starbucks partner from a store close to mine, the death of a dear colleague's mother, the coming and goings of friends, work stresses. Normally, these combined circumstances would simply bring me to my knees. But God has been cultivating my grateful heart, and with that has come such blessing and strength. I am sad in the face of loss but thankful for time spent. I am pressed with work and struggles but not crushed, never abandoned. It is a wave that carries me above the storm.


All of which brings me to what prompted me to write. An artist I know very little about has a website I look at every so often, just to see what's new. He creates picture based on phrases. I clicked on the link to "what a perfect day" and caught my breath in a smile. Because this is how I feel falling into Love and Gratitude.


Sam Brown, 12.3.09
www.explodingdog.com

1 comment:

merrilykaroly said...

oh wow. I LOVE that picture.

I constantly remind myself how grateful I am/need to be for the wonderful blessings God has given me. I think that living a life with a feeling of gratitude makes everything so much better.